There are a couple of tools that we frequently use, but we dont know how to use them properly. This page explains some quirks of the most commonly used monitoring tools:
- For using top, the following shortcuts are referred:
- z – make top display colorful!
- 1 – show per CPU stats
- c – give full path names of the executables and their arguments
- M – sort the processes based on memory consumption
- For using htop, the following shortcuts are referred:
- l – display the list of open files in a process
- s – display the strace output of process (you need root privileges, of course)
- Clicking on a column with mouse, will sort the list based on that column
- There is also one more glances tool that monitors pretty much everything. Most importantly, it exports data in various formats!!