Leo Babouta of ZenHabits has a post (written by a guest author) on becoming an expert. He offers subtle and to-the-point advice on becoming an expert:
- Expertise is relative – become an expert enough to get you going. Realizing this is important as it will help us appropriately set our goals.
- Learn from Books and Experience – we need both learning and doing. A balance is required.
- Concentrate on the task at hand – enjoy the present. This keeps coming every now and then.
- Take feedback – proper constructive. It will show us room for growth.
- Make mistakes – as it says it very fascinatingly: the more quicker we get comfortable in making mistakes, the more quicker we learn and develop expertise on a subject.