From Cal Newport again:
- Take a ten minute break for every hour worked. This helps reduce the rate at which your focus intensity decays.
- Never work more than three hours (with ten minute breaks) before taking significant time off.
- Get enough sleep. Eat healthy. Exercise. These factors control your energy. Your energy impacts your focus.
- Work in the morning and afternoon. Try to accomplish as much as possible before dinner. Your focus degrades quicker at night, and activities during the day will force your work into smaller bursts.
- Always study in a quiet, distraction-free location. Talking roommates or a TV in the background will lower your focus.